Friday 12 July 2019

My ESP-8266 Programmer

Easier ESP-8266 Programming

When I started developing my ESP8266 based projects, I started with ESP-01 modules and built a programming jig to help put the ESP-01 into programming mode. 


And this got tedious, fast.  When your Arduino code was ready to be uploaded, you have to hold down GPIO_0, hit RESET and then hit upload.  Never mind the fact with this ESP-01 unit you have to then unplug it an place it back in your main board afterwards.


So to overcome the tedium, I cooked up this!

Inspiration!

When looking for a better way to develop, I came across the Wemos D1-Mini.  



This little board is a beauty, and simply connects to your PC via a Micro-USB cable and code is uploaded aromatically when you compile.  Nice, but how?

Looking at the Wemos schematic:

It's not that obvious what's going on.


There is some connection between the CH340G and the dual transistor package, and unsure as to how it works, I googled it.  From the AI_Thinker manual on  the ESP modules, there's this reference:

  Ah ha!  This drawing makes it's operation seem much clearer, where the DTR and RTS lines set GPIO_0 low and pulse EN (reset) as required, and then go 'HI-Z' to allow normal operation of the pins.  Nice.  

So, I decided to make my own board that carried a CH340G and some transistors - like this:


It's pretty simple - it takes 5V from the USB socket, adds a 3V3 regaultor for the CH340G and some Rx / Tx blinkenlights.  

Then I knocked this up in Circuit Maker.  



Boards were then ordered, built and tested.  To make it work, I simply set the Arduino IDE to think it's using a Wemos D1-Mini.

Although I haven't tested it but I'd suspect that selecting NodeMCU would work too as they also show the transistor network in their schematic.
So I collected my bits:


And built my board, plus a cable to hook it up to my target. 


In development, the programmer could hook up to to my board via the onboard header, but in the final installation I added a 5 pin socket to allow me to plug in for firmware upgrades should the OTA updater fail. 


Programmer and Cable


5 Pin Socket Wired to Garage Door Opener

\

And Field Installation of Programmer for Upgrades

This little programming adaptor  makes programming my designs  much less tedious, and also helps reduce parts count as I don't need anything on board except a 5 pin header.  Neat!





No comments:

Post a Comment